Composer, arranger, songwriter,
(The Boston Globe)
Christopher Sainsbury is an accomplished composer and a highly experienced music educator, currently lecturing in Composition
and Musicology at the Australian National University (ANU). He has made a sustained contribution to Australian music as a working composer in both professional and community music arenas for many
years. His output ranges from simple songs to large orchestral works. With flair for melody and the art of orchestration, the Boston Globe reviewed his work as “cinematically tonal” and “dotted with
vivid orchestral touches”. Hear an example now:
Lydian Caprice - 2010 (the London Wilhelm string quintet) 2.2MB (<<click to hear)
Christopher Sainsbury with tree
from Brackish Songs (mezzo-soprano and
Recent performances / releases /new commissions
* Spirit Land: orchestral piece and soundtrack for film "Spirit Land".
Coast Youth Orchestra and Central Coast Symphony Orchestra, Central Coast Grammar School Auditorium, Erina Sept. 2017 and film launch Dec. 2017, The Hub, Erina, NSW.
* The Earth Song: written by former Senator Bob Brown and arranged for choir by Sainsbury. Canberra Writers Festival, National Library
Theatre, Canberra Aug. 2016
* Juljul: for Children's Choir. Canberra International Music Festival April 2017
* The Magic of This Dawn: for North Sydney Symphonic Wind Ensemble (NSSWE), with Conductor Patrick Brennan.
Concourse Theatre, Sept. 2016. Japan tour (Shizuoka, Osaka and Hiroshima), Dec. 2016.
* ScarTree: an ensemble piece for the modern ballet, "Footmarks", commissioned by Alyssa Casey and the Primal Dance Company.
Sydney Fringe Festival, Eternity
Playhouse Darlighurst, Sept. 2016, Laycock Street Theatre, Gosford City, Sept. 2016 and Wyong Art House Theatre, Wyong, Oct. 2016.
* The Sphinx: A commission from Avondale Conservatorium (Newcastle) for the University choir 'The Promise'. Words by RW Emerson.
Sept. 2016 and CD launch May 2017, Avondale
College, Cooranbong, NSW.
* North Country Sketches: for guitar. Sydney/NSW premiere by touring Italian virtuoso Gian Marco Ciampa, Oct 2016, Gosford City. Also XI
Festival International of Guitar of the City of Monterotondo, and repeated at Conservatory in Santa Cecilia, ITALY Dec 2016.
* Samba and Trio: for solo cello (Dave Eggar) for ANU gala concert, Canberra, Nov. 2016.
* As Wild as All Get Out: Carillon piece for Canberra International Music Festival, May and
June 2017 at National Carillon Park, Canberra. Repeat performances in Spain and Belgium, July 2017.
* Mud Moon: a string trio commission for milestone birthday celebrations of Australian ceracist Ros Auld.
Dec 2017: a major APRA grant for the second round of the Indigenous Composer Initiative, a mechanism for mentoring and
producing Australian Indigenous composers working in new classical music and jazz music scores. Headed up by Moogahlin Performing Arts, Christopher Sainsbury, Kim Cunio and Kevin Hunt, with partners
the AMC, Ensemble Offspring, ANU and Eora College. A significant move for Indigenous music in Australia.
A new orchestral suite for the Central Coast Youth Orchestra, exploring regional themes. Sept concert
Sainsbury also maintains a career as a working guitarist in a wide range of styles. (Click image to order):
Click on CDs for email / ordering page
Also visit the Hear Sounds page.